Thursday 18 November 2010

wip - Anomalocarid Girl intro



Work-in-progress on an introduction to Anomalocarid Girl, a foil for Trilobite Boy.  

Unsure what an anomalocaris is?  There's a great post over at Why Evolution is True by Matthew Cobb.  

The idea that they might not have preyed on trilobites actually works out great: I kind of want Anomalocarid Girl to be a villain and love interest for Trilobite Boy.  Sorta. 

Here's another look at the sketch on my desk, done after dinner one night.  I based the pose on Bottecelli's Birth of Venus, and that's an oil rig burning in the background that she's blown up with her guns. 








On another note, thanks to everyone who offered advice on my last post - it's very much appreciated, and while I'm still thinking things over, I think I may try and limit myself to 2 personal art projects at a time for the time being. Above, is part of one of them!

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.


Portfolio

Blog
Print Shop

5 comments:

Jives said...

Damn. she's armed to the teeth!

Mike Haubrich said...

She looks awful friendly for being a villainess.

Unless she is being deceptive and her smile is her camouflage.

Glendon Mellow said...

Jives - thanks for that link via Twitter, I like the format of Romantically-Apocalyptic a lot - just a few paintings and some dialogue. That may be a helpful way for me to go.

Mike - You got it! Smiling, mostly smiling.

This image may not be directly in the narrative. I mostly wanted to get a starting point for her attitude, and develop a final version of the Anomalocarid dress.

Anonymous said...

She's cute Glendon!
Must be the month of the girl painting, a few of my animator/artist friends have been making artwork with girls, me included.
Is it 'Girlvember'?

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Optimistic!

It's not a planned thing as far as I know...

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |