Friday 6 March 2009

Gaps in the artistic record

A brief list of art I'm missing to be considered the following type of artist:

Scientific Illustrator
-Cut away view of fish or of the Earth's crust with little labels
-Skeletal outline for clarity
-Heavily airbrushed, smooth view of pink & blue lungs
-Colourful landscape of organisms that would normally be hiding from each other

Pseudo-scientific Illustrator
-pulsating food morsel/medicine/sport drink going down gridded simplified human body to pulsate stronger in stomach
-simple diagram of human body with labels of animal names or words like "virtue" and "3rd eye"
-elegant watercolours of St. John's Wort and echinacea
-illustration with pyramids and lots of glittery silver

Paleo-Fantasy/SF Illustrator
-Leopard-bikini wearing woman riding mutant theropod with horns
-Innocent waif girl with clunky robot friend
-Herbivore & carnivore dinosaurs looking up in shock at UFO
-Blue shadowy background with PVC-wearing woman carrying two ridiculously huge and complicated guns

Fine Artist
-Object made from my own body or my trash
-Mash-up of multiple impermanent materials: painting on a cake left to go moldy and filmed for YouTube
-Painting "referencing" another artist's work, while allegedly subverting it
-Painting something vague that could be better explained in an op-ed column



Where do I fit, categorically? At ScienceOnline09, I used 5 categories about science-art that differ from these.

Art in awe of science sums it up enough.


- - - - - - - -
Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow under Creative Commons Licence.
Flying Trilobite Gallery ### Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ###

6 comments:

Drhoz said...

*splorfles*

Glendon Mellow said...

Drhoz,
I do not think that word means what you think it means.


Inconceivable. *shakes head*

Sean Craven said...

Huh.

Maybe I haven't drawn enough bikini filling. Maybe that's the problem.

Karen James said...

"Painting something vague that could be better explained in an op-ed column"

*snorts*

Zachary Miller said...

Hahahaha...I think I'd want to do the bikini babe with the mutant dinosaur and the two dumbstruck dinos looking up at the meteor!

Glendon Mellow said...

Zach,

It reminds me of when I had to get my portfolio ready to apply for the fine art program. I needed to have some life drawings, a bowl of fruit, a landscape...the rest was filled with Celtic and Japanese mythology. But I had to have those few "art" pieces to show credibility.

The bikini cavewoman and mutant theropod are the same in some ways. :-)

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |