Friday 6 April 2007

Mythical Flying Trilobite Fossil

This image was created for my friend Rudi's birthday this year. It is oil painted onto a slab of shale. My wife found the shale discarded from a roof in the Annex area here in Toronto.
The trilobite is modelled after Balcoracania, and once again I used the extra large pleura halfway down the body to create wings. This time, I have modelled them after bat wings instead of insect. The neat thing about this piece of shale is that it already had a natural hole descending through the slab, making it perfect for wall-hanging.

2 comments:

Jesse Graham said...

wow Glendon! That's a pretty cool surface to work on.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks, Jesse. Of course, if you drop it, it can shatter. It was fun to work on, especially with the subject matter.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |